<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] show endurance
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:01 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] show endurance - Laurie Durgin

    Not to mention, walking back and forth for everything the need at the ring, to care or check on the horses, find the bathrooms, go out to get lunch, go visit the tack stores  convenient  to the horse park, . It's actually like "crewing all day long"(and usually at the whim of a teen). Thats at the nicer horse parks. Then there is our local county 4h or saddle club shows , that we also have to help run the show, everything from gate keeper, timer, announcing, working in concession, cleanup, etc. It is a good way to help your horse learn how to stand tied all day, and helps with despooking. Course we never win anything(Rascal; cause he is short, not a QH or TB and is green. But on fun classes he does ok. He is also the best trotting barrel horse you've ever seen!!!
    And when all the "show-ers" do there classes, get their ribbions and leave, the real fun begins---cleanup, and stowing and hauling  all the stuff away. We averaged 10-14 hours for those shows.
      Then there are the multiday shows.. . .never mind...you can guess.....
    Laurie and Rascal

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Becky Huffman
    Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 11:34 AM
    To: Paddi; ridecamp
    Subject: Re: [RC] show endurance

    we spent 14 hrs at a 4-h open show yesterday, if that isn't endurance, I don't know what is. !?!

    I have to admit the boys didn't do too well with their little endurance mares in western pleasure, (I never did hear them ask for the extended trot?!??) but they sure made us proud in horsemanship and the speed events <BG>

    "Good and Ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. "
    -Aragorn, son of Arathorn