<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Bitless Bridle
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:02 GMT 2003
  • - Larry Miller
  • - Rides 2 Far

    RE: [RC] Bitless Bridle - Jerry & Susan Milam

    Title: Blank
    Barb,

    I had the same problem exactly with my greenie 6yo with his bit. I had him in a full cheek snaffle and he would seemingly play with it in his mouth and chew and chew and chew while at the same time pulling the thing to the ground. I don't know if it was to avoid some form of bit pressure he was feeling or what. I don't keep my horses in a "frame" with the pressure I apply. I hold the reins so I can feel their mouth and that is all. No added pressure is applied. He was spending most of his focus on messing with that bit, it was hard to focus on my cues and yieldingto the bit. I switched to a 3 piece snaffle and he did much better.

    I feel he goes best in a bitless bridle I bought from Nancy Mitts of Stable Gear. The only problem I'm having with it is he tends to push his nose out to resist the pressure when I try to rate him unless I have a martingale on him to keep him from doing that. The rings that attach to the bitless bridle for hooking on the reins are fairly long and prevent me from being able to use the bridle and martingale at the same time. I love this bridle but haven't solved the martingale dilema. It also is much more reasonably priced than the bitless bridle's website. Maynbe I don't need the martingale, but how do I keep him from sticking that nose up and out when I rate him.

    Happy Tails,

    Susan & Dandy