<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] hackamores, et al
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:35:23 GMT 2003
  • - Maggie & David
  • - Howard Bramhall

    Re: [RC] hackamores, et al - Laurie Durgin

    I read a book on bits and bridles that stated alot of people think a hacamore is gentler and more humane than a bit, but actually is could have severe leverage, depending on the shanks, noseband ,etc. It's just that it is on the nose and not the mouth. This may clarify for some. I know someone who won't use a bit, because they are 'cruel", but uses very longshanked hacamore (because it is the only thing that will stop her horse.) This author also talked bout the spanish jacima(sp?) and bosal, and said the horse had to be trained to tuck before you could use one on him. I had considered using a hack  myself (for eating reasons), but I have to be careful, if you use anything Rascal thinks is too harsh, he will buck when you apply it. I have to use a snaffle or a waterford bit (english bit looks like a bunch of marbles strung together , he eats better in it).

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Dot Wiggins
    Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 6:50 PM
    To: ridecamp
    Subject: [RC] hackamores, et al

    In the interests of clarity:

     "Hackamore"  is the english/amercan version of the spanish word "jacquima",   a braided rawhide or leather "bosal" or noseband, with reins attached at a "heel knot"  at the chin area.

    Any device that has metal parts, or other factors that give a leverage action on the nose/jaw,  with or without a mouthpiece,  with reins attached  on the lower end of each cheek piece, is a bit.   This is sometimes called a "hackmore bit"   "S hack"   "jumping hackamore"  and other terms.

    "Bitless bridles" have actions that are also different, and more complicated.

    All are valuble at different times, on different horses, for different  purposes.

    When recommending something to others please be sure everyone knows which you mean.

    (off lecture now)  { ;= )