<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Advice for Horse with Hard Mouth
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:35:23 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - SandyDSA

    Re: [RC] Advice for Horse with Hard Mouth - Typef

    I have possibly two suggestions. I had the same problem. A running
    martingale worked for me. I was able to get my horse's nose out of my face
    and she is now very responsive to me. My daughter's new horse was the same
    way the first day we rode him. I thought we had made a terrible mistake. He
    had no brakes and he bolted like crazy. Next day I put the martingale on him
    and discovered yes, indeed, he WAS trained! My experience with a martingale
    is that you don't have to use it forever and it doesn't have to be too
    short, just enough to keep their noses out of the air.

    My second possible suggestion is I have a friend who has Mustang who has
    been very ill-tempered in any kind of bit, snaffle or otherwise and my
    friend has just about given up on her until she discovered the bitless
    bridle at www.bitlessbridle.com She was skeptical about it but she decided
    to spend the big bucks and buy one. She's been riding in it for three weeks
    and she says the difference in her horse is unbelievable. She's only had one
    temper tantrum since she started using it and she said just got after her
    mare a little bit and that was the absolute last time she has had a problem.
    We'll have to see how it works in the long run. She says she has plenty of
    control which is what I've been worried about switching to something
    bitless.