<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] The Arabian Breed
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:49 GMT 2003
  • - beth glover
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] The Arabian Breed - Howard Bramhall

    You know, sometimes I do think all that beer I'm drinking is killing off my stupid brain cells first, and, since I got so many of those I might actually be getting smarter, 'cause I can understand this one!  And, it's funny, when some riders get to talking about a tall rider on a short horse, since I would have no idea what that experience is like.  But, nobody, except myself, seems to talk about a short rider (me) riding a very tall horse (my 17 hand Saddlebred).  I ride all kinds of different horses, but this guy is my best match.  Too bad he's too hyper for endurance.

    All I can say is when I ride Dance Line, some sort of rhythm thing is going on that gels quite well; and it's not me alone, because I normally dance with two left feet.  It's the horse, of course, and we gel quite well together.  And, for once in my life, I get to look down on all you short people riding those tiny Arabians.

    cya,
    Howard (who ain't as smart as my PHD buddy, but I'm quite satisfied when I do understand him)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Truman Prevatt
    Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 10:07 AM
    To: Becky Huffman
    Cc: woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx; goearth; Ridecamp; Heidi Smith
    Subject: Re: [RC] The Arabian Breed

    If you tie a weight on the end of a string one foot long and hang it
    from a nail and start it swinging, it will swing one complete period in
    a fixed time. If you lengthen the string it will swing slower. If you
    shorten the string it will swing faster. That is there is a resonant
    frequency or an equilibrium where this mechanical system naturally
    likes.  The same is true for any mechanical system made up of  levers,
    pulleys and pendulums - including the horse's body and the human body.
    IMO it's more important to find a horse whose natural rhythm matches
    yours that worry about height. A horse where you just post on down the
    trial requiring little effort at the natural resonant gait for the
    horse. If you are having to work to ride the trot maybe it's because
    your resonant frequency and horses don't match.

    In the case of taller people I think in general they match better to
    taller horses but that may not always be the case.  I match up pretty
    well to the horse I am riding. My wife's horse is the same size (about
    15-2 to 15-3) and I don't match up to him at all. So height in and of
    itself is not the only factor - it's how they are put together and move.

    Truman