<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] There is a goldfish in my water!
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:45 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest
  • - Paddi

    Re: [RC] There is a goldfish in my water! - Howard Bramhall

    I've considered fish in my horse's trough, but I have one worry and hope someone can tell me whether or not it's valid.  In addition to squitoes and bugs of all kinds, we, also, have a lot of birds down here.  Now, wouldn't the fish in the trough draw the birds?  Won't they want to eat the fish and take easy pickings which a trough would allow?  And, doesn't certain bird droppings carry diseases that are harmful to horses?

    Ah, so many questions, and I have so few answers.  Now, isn't this a much more productive discussion than that "sinful" sheath cleaning episode we just went thru?  Aren't you glad that sheath cleaning only comes around once every three years?  That's why I save some posts that are certain to repeat themselves, cause, sooner or later, they're gonna make a repeat appearance.  I do think "Drop, Doogie, Drop," was the phrase that will forever stick in my mind from this year.

    cya,
    Howard (it's too bad that Bette's couch is over 2,000 miles away for me.  Man, wouldn't you love to hear what's being said in the room when Amber (little a) has her hour?)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Rae Callaway
    Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 11:09 PM
    To: ridecamp
    Subject: Re: [RC] There is a goldfish in my water!

    I've had goldfish in my troughs for nearly 15 years now.  I may clean the tanks once a year - if that.  There are no mosquitos around my pens.  There is a small amount of algae in the troughs, but not much.  Fish poop? It settles to the bottom and doesn't bother the horses one bit.  My main tank has 3 fish in it - about 6 inches long and 1 to 1/2 inches fat.  They have babies every couple of years which gives me feeders for the other troughs.

    --- Rae Callaway
    --- Tall C Arabians - SE Texas