<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] sheath cleaning
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:47 GMT 2003
  • - EBraznell
  • - Debby Stai

    Re: [RC] sheath cleaning - Colleen Egleston

    Just the other day, I was elbow deep (imagine that Howard, are you wincing yet?) in my gelding, he wasn't thrilled, but I got the bean!!!!  My husband was appalled.  I use Kirk's Castel Soap and water and a little KY Jelly to lubricate my hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, upper body.....

    I rinse well, but the soap is really gentle.

    C. and Corky, who was thoughly humiliated.
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 12:56 AM
    Subject: [RC] sheath cleaning

    Ok, ridecampers, here's a subject that is touchy, at least to some of the horses I've asked!!  I have a gelding who is finally getting over the fact that I had his " eh, em's" cut off (by a vet, under anesthesia), but some how he knew I'd ordered it and I am just now getting him to let me touch "down there" without him trying to kick my head off.  He acquires quite a lot of smegma, and when I took him in for his spring shots and checkup, I had the vet mildly tranquilize him and check him out; he had a couple of sizable "beans" and she popped them out. I asked her what I should use to clean him, and she told me just plain warm water and a soft rag is best; forget the mineral oil, or baby oil or Excalibur sheath cleaner because the oils cause dirt to stick, and the Excalibur has to be rinsed extremely well, which most people don't do.
     So, now that I've gotten him to let me touch "it", although he tries to hide it by sucking it so far up it's invisible, what do you use to clean your horse and how do they handle it?  By the way, my vet said that she has a horse that has to come in for a twice yearly cleaning as he actually gets maggots in his sheath because it gets so dirty!!   Renie