<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] sheath cleaning
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:48 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] sheath cleaning - amber applegate

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Charles
    Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:38 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] sheath cleaning

    I'm embarrassed to admit I have the opposite problem with my gelding.  He produces smegma like monsters make slime.  And, he likes to be "cleaned".

    As some may already know, I'm relatively new to horses (met wife 4 years ago and she had horses) got my first horse in 2000, a mare (now my pasture ornament).

    I got Jon in November last year.  He is my first gelding.  When I got him his sheath was filthy and not particularly clean and had a wax/goo buildup around the stomach in the sheath area.  I slowly had to get him used to the idea of my cleaning it with warm water.  At first I used warm water, and I treated it with furazone (available at fine PetSmarts everywhere).  I tried Nolvosan twice, but the second time he told me it was too much.    After few weeks the wax/goo stuff went away.

    Wow Charles, that was a veawee veawee diplomatic reply.......................Now, take it away Howard and Scot,
    amber who thinks this thread may be of immense interest and entertainment which we call can use.

    For the last few months, I found  "it" hanging out whenever I was grooming, so I gave "it" a quick wipe to get the loose "crusty" off.  (I think that was my mistake).   I don't like to touch it any more than I have to, but mostly because I have hang-ups about this sort of thing.

    2 Months ago, I learned about "beans" and how what I thought was the penis, actually has a smaller retractable area inside it that also needs cleaning.  My wife taught me by showing me a bean the size of 2 large kidney beans, I mean it was huge.  We thought he was dropping because of the irritation, and that the behavior would end.  I'm not so sure now.

    Now, I just go in.  I've learned the best thing to use is a rubber glove.  The last thing you want is any of that stuff on your hands, the stench will kill ya.  I'm figuring that it doesn't look sore or have raw spots or wounds of any kind, and he's not complaining, that it's OK.   I don't see any reason to ad anything else.  I haven't seen evidence of outside stuff (dirt, grass, hair, etc) getting into any of his most delicate areas.  I figure if it's OK, then I'm ok without having to do more work than a biweekly or so bean check and removal.

    My guy doesn't seem to mind getting "it" cleaned, and I suspect he's enjoying it, since "it"  drops when he sees me.

    Charles
    (I think I'm my horses alpha mare, and it's making me nervous.)