<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Bioengineered Endurance Athletes?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:12 GMT 2003
  • - Sue Brown
  • - Sue Brown

    Re: [RC] Bioengineered Endurance Athletes? - Jon . Linderman

    Debbie,

    Good practical questions for which I wish I had a simple answer. As a basic
    scientist I ammore like Phil Donahue, raising more questiosn than I ever
    answer in my career.  In some ways the TB industry uses someone, I believe
    a "nicker" who looks at the potential of the mare/stallion cross.

    Because slow and fast fiber types, or cell types, are FAR more comlicated
    than just mitochondria, there are many genes involved for the various
    proteins of a muscle fiber that determine type.  Fiber type has been
    simplified to pacify the masses.  We have in fact perhaps identified not
    only slow and fast but w/in muscle up to 2 slow types and 4 fast types, and
    hybrids of these as well.

    Scientists have debated the "limiting" factor in endurance prformance and
    there are essentially 2 camps: 1 the ability to use oxygen, or 2 the
    ability to deliver oxygen.  The ability to use oxygen depends upon total
    volume of mitochondria in muscle.  As mitochondria are the same in any
    muscle the more you have the more oxygen you can consume and the more
    energy you can derive to sustain muscle contractions. The delivery of
    oxygen is predicated largely on cardiac ouput or the pump capacity of the
    heart.  Now, there is fairly clear evidence that at low intensity (approx.
    60-70% of maximum) that the ability to maintain performance is based upon
    the ability to consume oxygen.  As intensity increases then delivery
    becomes a larger factor.  So answering which is limiting depends on how you
    ask the question.

    So no I don't think that you can negate Dads contribution.  However, the
    sustaining power, or the enduring capacity of an animal , might be more
    heavily weighed to mom than Dad.  You also have to consider biomechanics of
    gait, quality of bone, hoof, connective tissue strength, and many other
    things, not the least of which is "heart" as it refers to will.  Thats all
    beyond me.  My world has been inside the fiber for many years.  This world
    is poorly understood and overly simplified by popular press, but I do find
    it interesting that just like Pee Wee football, the horse industry as a
    whole places much of the weight of genetic success to the stallion.  I tell
    my students that if you are a great endurance athlete, make sure to thank
    your mom.

    Before I left my position at Ohio State I was looking into a more
    discimminating method of looking at muscle proteins, know as myosin heavy
    chains (MHC).  This form of fiber typing has been used in rodents and
    humans and we have seen very subtle changes with training, gender, age,
    hormones, etc that are not reflected by classical "fiber type" changes
    first used in the 70's.  I was looking into characterizing MHC in various
    distinct breeds such as arabians when compared to say racing quarter
    horses, which is the classic sprinter vs endurance runner. Some work has
    been done, but it is very limited.  I theorized that arabians aren't just
    suited to endurance due to cooling mechanisms inherent to their desert
    breeding, smaller lighter frames, larger heart and lungs, quality of hoof,
    eye sight, etc........but that their MHC quality and mitochondria quantity
    allow them to endure activity longer.  Alas, 2 years ago I told
    administration to sing that famous Johhn Paycheck song and I left to teach
    at a small college, play w/my kids, and enjoy my horses.........someone
    else can solve the great mysteries of muscle, I want to ride and be Dad.

    Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
    Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science
    University of Dayton
    300 College Park
    Dayton, OH 45469-1210
    Voice:(937) 229-4207
    FAX: (937) 229-4244
    jonlinderman@xxxxxxxxxxx
    http://www.udayton.edu/~linderma

                          "Debbie T."
                          <risingwind@socke        To:       <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Jon.Linderman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                          t.net>                   cc:       "Lynne Glazer" <lglazer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                                    <ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                          08/19/2002 02:15         Subject:  Re: [RC]   Bioengineered Endurance Athletes?
                          PM

    Jon:
      You said:

    By the way the gene for the protein that makes the structure know as
    mitochondria, which is where we use oxygen in the muscle cell, is
    apparently a maternally linked gene.  Thus, great endurance capacity of
    muscle comes from mom........not pops!

    >From this statement, do you mean that the gene for selecting for
    muscle-fiber type (i.e. slow or fast twitch muscle fiber) is on
    mitochondrial DNA, (which is only expressed in the female line) therefore
    when making breeding decisions, it's more important to choose a MARE that
    is
    endurance proven than a STALLION that is endurance proven?  Would that mean
    that the stallion could be just any conformationally desireable animal of
    the breed of choice (say, Arab :-)  as long as the mare was a good
    endurance
    horse, and you would be more likely to get a foal with the right
    muscle-fiber phenotype, therefore a more promising prospect?
    Debbie Trimble