<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] WNV in Colo - Rant Warning
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:14 GMT 2003
  • - Lif Strand
  • - Jon . Linderman

    Re: [RC] WNV in Colo - Rant Warning - Howard Bramhall

    Well, this sheep is crying out "BAAAAAAAACINATE,  BAAAAACINATE, BAAAAAACINATE."

    That is for us sheep who live in the Southeast, and I'll tell you why.  There are two horses now dead, as in deceased, buried, planted in the ground, that were put down last week, as a result from contracting West Nile, and their grave sites are 1/2 mile from my house.  My county has the largest number of confirmed West Nile cases (equine) in the state of Florida, and the number is increasing daily.

    My vet is currently treating over a dozen cases of WNV infected horses.  She told me she's only had one case where a horse was vaccinated and contracted West Nile (horse didn't receive the booster) and that horse did survive.  This is information that is more valid than what I'm receiving from any newswire service.  It's really happening, and it's happening here.

    Go up to the horse owner who just lost her horse (she can't stop crying) and tell her that only 30% of those horses that contract WNV will die.  I'm sure she'd love to hear that one.  You have no idea how much this woman wishes she had vaccinated her beloved 6 year old, beautiful bay Quarter Horse gelding.  She can't stop crying.  Visit her once and you won't think twice about whether or not you should vaccinate your horse for this disease.  She can't stop crying.

    If I lived out west I probably wouldn't vaccinate either.  You do need mosquitoes to contract the disease.  But, I don't live out there, we seem to have plenty of squitoes out this way, so, I'm doing it now.  And, I'm glad I did.  "BAAAAAAACINATE!"

    cya,
    Howard (on the edge of the flock here, and I don't like what I'm seeing.  She can't stop crying.)