<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] WNV in Colo - Rant Warning
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:28 GMT 2003
  • - Typef
  • - Rides 2 Far

    Re: [RC] WNV in Colo - Rant Warning - Susan Garlinghouse

    I agree with a lot of what you say, Maryanne, but just a few comments to
    add...

    Yes, WNV has been in the Middle East for a long time and isn't a big deal.
    However, North America is what's called a "naive" population---no prior
    exposure whatsoever, no protective antibodies from mom through the
    colostrum, no warning.  A bad bug comes along and yes, the immune system
    will automatically mount an attack against it.  The trick is having enough
    time to mount an immune response before the disease kills you.  If the
    disease isn't nasty enough to kill you, no big deal.  If the disease is
    virulent and ugly enough, too bad, you die.  Want an example, check what
    happened to numerous native populations when the Europeans arrived with
    their common, everyday bugs.  Shazam, most of the population is wiped out.
    So there *is* a difference between WNV in Egypt vs WNV in North America, at
    least until it's prevalent enough here that most horses have been exposed
    and had a chance to adapt immunologically.

    As for the vaccine making Fort Dodge and the practice veterinarians
    rich...well, I doubt it.  Actually, I can't speak for what it costs Fort
    Dodge to make the stuff or what their profit is.  I know that the vet's cost
    for a 10-dose vial is about $112, so call it $11 a dose.  It seems the
    average cost for the vet to administer it is $20 a pop.  Sorry, nine dollars
    for the vet just doesn't seem all that outrageous to me.  Vets have to make
    a living, too, most carry A LOT of student debt to have gotten that degree
    in the first place and I know very, very few equine vets that make what I
    would call a luxurious living.  But, enough of that and I'm off the soapbox.

    I can't speak as to the specific efficacy of the vaccine.  I hate
    epidemiology, was thrilled to just pass the class and move on.<g>  I asked
    CSU's pet vet/epidemiologists if they thought the WNV was effective enough
    to be worth it, and they said yes.  So did the equine medicine people who
    are all a lot smarter than I am.  That was good enough for me.  My guys all
    got the vaccine.  Worse case scenario, I've spent a hundred bucks for
    something that I hope will help protect them against the disease until WNV
    becomes entrenched enough here that all the horses are immune.

    BTW, the local news here in Denver has been pretty responsible about
    reporting, including a lot of interviewing going on here at the vet school.
    No panties in a wad that I could see.

    Susan G