<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Horse needs a home
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:29 GMT 2003
  • - terre
  • - DESERTRYDR1

    Re: [RC] Horse needs a home - Colleen Egleston

    I agree with you whole heartedly.  It disgusts me that this organization is
    only interested in getting money out of this horse.

    I worked for a camp one summer, the guy who owned it was one of these super
    religious types with an agenda.  Anyway, every day we would take the horses
    out and tack them up early in the morning, they would either be rode all day
    or stand in the sun fully tacked when not being ridden, he was very strict
    that we not loosen girths during the human lunch time.  The horses were
    NEVER offered water during the day, or allowed to eat.  The majority of the
    horses bore saddle sores from cheap, ill-fitting tack and needed weight.

    Several of the horses were donated by owners who thought by giving their
    horses to this nice religious guy for his camp and kids, that they would
    have a happy home for the rest of their lives.  They were so mislead.  This
    is not the only circumstance I have run into where horses donated to a 'good
    cause' were later sold for a profit.

    There are several real organizations out there that offer happy homes to
    unwanted horses.  These organizations often have several horses on their
    feed bills that are unridable, lame or just plain old.  Knowing what I know
    now I would never donate a horse to any camp, riding program or otherwise.
    BTW, I'm e-mailing this to my sister-in-law in case we ever die and she's
    wondering what to do with the horses.

    C.