<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Food aggression
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:29 GMT 2003
  • - Annie George
  • - Becky Huffman

    Re: [RC] Food aggression - Colleen Egleston

    I also have an aggressive colt, gelding.  He's three and I've had him since
    he was four months old.  I treated him like a little baby for the longest
    time, and then he got big.  His name is Nipper, for obvious reasons.  I have
    since taught him not to nip, but he will occasionally sneak a bite in and
    run.

    He is also aggressive about his food, so I whack him and don't let him eat
    until he has backed off and offered me the respect his indentured servant
    deserves (oh, the wardrobe I could have without horses).  He's learning, but
    like all things, it takes repetition and not letting him be the boss ever.
    Don't get me wrong, I am hardly a control freak, I just make him respect my
    space and not run me down.

    I would carry a short crop with me if I were you and give him a quick smack,
    just one, every time he gets aggressive.  Horses learn by consequences, not
    reasoning.  I have a brother in law who reasoned with his first demon seed,
    the second one he paddled, the first one is still a whiney brat, the second
    one is a joy to be around.  I'm saying spank, not beat.  I spank my little
    horsey boy when he gets out of hand, on the chest or butt, never the head.

    Good Luck

    C. and Nippur (I'm a brat), Corky (I'm a higher life form, my kind will be
    coming to take me home soon), Buck (All I want is to be left alone), and
    Pete (Where am I? ).