<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Speed Freak; Flying Emergency Dismount; 43rd Battalion
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:35 GMT 2003
  • - Jerri Larsen
  • - MtnRondi

    Re: [RC] Speed Freak; Flying Emergency Dismount; 43rd Battalion - Howard Bramhall

    For one thing, even us Southerners will admit that the Civil War has long since ended.  We try not to follow the rules of engagement that we once did, back then.  The other thing is comparing endurance riding to being out in the Cavalry (today's Cavalry now rides helicopters) isn't very realistic.  I have yet to attend an endurance ride where someone is shooting at me and I have to dismount to save myself and fire back.  I must admit I've heard rumors of this possibly happening when I attend some of those Georgia rides, but this has yet to occur.

    I'm not saying learning the flying Rolinda circus act dismount, center ring, isn't a good idea, but you must realize that when you are out in the woods, alone, just you and your horse, and, for some reason your horse spooks and takes off, the very last thing that should be on your mind is to part with your buddy.  You stay with your horse, no matter what, just like you'd stay with your kids or your spouse if some really weird looking stranger suddenly appeared by your campfire.  Would you take off and run, if something got weird, leaving yours to defend themselves while you save your own skin?  I would like to think not.

    If you dismount on a runaway horse, out in the woods, and your horse meets Death while crossing the Highway, you will regret your action for quite some time to come.  Throw in a couple of mean spirited lawyers who could care less about the loss of your horse and are looking more at the value of your home, and this might turn into a very long lasting memory.  You are responsible for your horse out there on the trail, just as you are responsible for him during the course of your endurance ride, and you must realize that "bailing" on him might cost you quite a bit more than a sprained ankle or broken leg.  If your runaway hits a car, killing the driver and the horse, these days it wouldn't surprise me if you found yourself looking at some sort of manslaughter charge or worse.

    I remember working with guys from the Air Force Academy, learning the PLF, for real, at one of the bases I was stationed years ago.  When I went for lunch one day at the "Chow Hall" I couldn't help but notice how many of them were on crutches.  Most of these guys were still teenagers and they wore their pain proudly.  At my age, bones don't heal as quickly as they did with those Cadets, so I think I'll just stay on my 4 legged plane and ride it all the way home.  I will only jump off if the aircraft gets out of control and there's no doubt that it's going down.  Otherwise, I'm staying on for the entire ride.  And, so should you.

    cya,
    Howard

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: trailsz@xxxxxxxxx
    Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 12:59 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; lanconn@xxxxxxx; tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Speed Freak; Flying Emergency Dismount; 43rd Battalion

    Here's a historical account of this technique being used by Col. John
    Mosby
    (Mosby's Rangers) during the Civil War.
    Thought you Southern fellows might enjoy it.

    FYI,  the emergency dismount is a basic technique that has been taught
    for years in formal riding programs, such as the Cavalry, USPCA [aka
    Pony Club], the British Horse Society rating programs, 4-H, etc.  It is
    my observation that some endurance riders seem to have skipped the
    basics of riding & gone right to the trail.  Then, when they get out of
    control & into trouble, they can become a danger to themselves and
    others.  Too bad.

    SZ

    http://www.mosbysrangers.com/rangers/aldie.htm