<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Under run heels
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:50 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] Under run heels - Debbie T.

    I had an Arab with mismatched angles on his front feet.  The farrier tried
    to get them to match but was never completely successful.  I sold the horse
    for other reasons,  and was telling my new farrier about this horse, and he
    said that many Arabs he's seen have this, and it is something they are born
    with.  I am still curious about this and sure would like to hear the
    opinions of the farriers on ths list.
    Debbie Trimble

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 12:39 PM
    Subject: [RC] Under run heels

    Karen Webb kpwebb@xxxxxxx
    I bought my Arabian stallion at three and a-half and it was obvious that he
    hadn't had much farrier care for about a year prior to that.  Someone had
    cut off all his heels and he was barefoot traveling around in about a half
    acre paddock running all the growth off his feet.  He is now seven and in a
    set of four shoes.  Three of his hooves are now in good shape.  However, the
    front right continues to be a problem.  The farrier I am currently using
    seems to be doing a good job.  The stallion is in an egg bar shoe on the
    front right which has helped to improve his hoof angle, but it still does
    not match his left hoof.  A vet/farrier recommended putting him into an
    aluminum shoe with heel caulk that would compensate for the lower angle on
    the right front, but my farrier argued that with the liberal turn out I give
    my guy and some slope to his pasture, that he would likely just keep
    catching the heel caulk and ripping the shoe off.

    Anyone have any experience correcting this problem and what did you do.  I
    haven't really pushed this guy as I didn't want to make him lame and so far
    he's been extremely sound.  We've done one LD ride, a NATRC ride and some
    cross country jumping and lots of trail riding.  But since he's seven, I
    would like to get going but realize his feet need to be in the best possible
    shape first.

    Any ideas?