<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Speed Freak
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:50 GMT 2003
  • - Ridecamp Guest
  • - Randy and Cheryl Winter

    Re: [RC] Speed Freak - Colleen Egleston

    I too owned a horse that was a blind runaway, he was also an ex-racehorse.
    When he bolted he just ran, no thought to his own health or yours, or
    anything that was in his way.  He scared the hell out of me.  The last time
    he took off on me I finally got him stopped after about 2 miles, I got off
    and led him home.  I sold him.  He's one of the few of my non-rescues that
    I've ever sold, and I didn't feel one bit guilty about it.  He had other
    issues too, rearing and striking, throwing himself on the ground when tied
    to anything, crossties, trailer, posts, fearful kicking when you came up
    behind him.  I had one vet tell me he thought the horse was autistic, I
    think he had been severely abused.

    He would have eventually hurt me and it's been said before, but there are
    too many good horses out there to risk your life with the bad ones.  I sold
    him responsibly, I told the woman he was dangerous to ride.  He was
    beautiful and all she wanted was a beautiful Arab to pet, brush and buy
    things for.

    C.