<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Fw: another tevis story 3
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:21 GMT 2003
  • - Kirk and Tara Rothwell

    [RC] Fw: another tevis story 3 - Kirk and Tara Rothwell

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 9:33 PM
    Subject: another tevis story 3

    At Dusty corners, I did my job, drank, took those electrolytes like straight molasses, and ate some hay. Quickly we were off again. I liked this section of trail. Mom said it would be a fun mountain bike trail. We veered off the road onto a single track contouring along what seemed like an old mining ditch. The trail was good and we made fast time through there. Before we knew it we were at Last Chance. I did my job and drank and then proceeded to eat everything insight. Mom left me alone to do that for about 10 minutes then figured we better head to the vet. That was a bit after 4 pm. The vet thought that I looked funny in my gait and poor mom had to run me out and back twice. He was concerned, too, that it had taken 10 minutes for me to reach pulse criteria. (It hadn?t mom just wanted to let me do some eating.) The vet (another real nice fellow) was sure that we couldn?t make it to Michigan Bluff before the cut off and advised us to pull. Mom told him how she planned to run this section. He gave her a crazy look and asked if she were some kind of running machine. Well mom isn?t, but she can hold a decent pace for a long time. And we have good sync when she runs. She slows and yells rock at all the hard places, listens for me to pass over and cranks up again. She knows I am right with her so she doesn?t even look back. The vet told his scribe to put ?owner is running machine? on the vet card and let us go. It was about 1615. We had about 3 hours to do the steepest, toughest section of the course. Mom took off running and by 15 minutes we were at the swinging bridge. We walked quickly across and it seemed to move a lot more than it had when we did our training ride there. Soon we were at a nice creek and mom drank and took a bath and tried to give me one too. The heart rate watch got wet and then really didn?t work. It had been funky all day; mom thought the batteries were going dead. Up the long, steep climb to Devil?s thumb we went. Last time we did this I pulled mom right up. Today I was dragging. Boy ,it was hot. So mom took the lead and I did the best I could to keep up with her power hike. We traveled up that pitch a lot slower than mom had anticipated. I was feeling it in my legs and needing a break and some beet pulp soup!  And my crew to rub and fuss over me. (The real reason Mom?s husband doesn?t like me; I am such a babe magnet!) Near the top we came upon some volunteers. They had a man down with dehydration and heat stress. Mom talked to the nurse for a while and decided there just wasn?t much she could do without a medical bag. So on we went. The volunteers at Devil?s thumb were particularly nice and I got some watermelon. And mom got some cold water for her bottles. Little did they know but she had lots of cold water on her back and was using those bottles to pour on me. Ugh, I hate that. Off we went to Deadwood, mom still running. I was wishing for beet pulp soup. Why don?t they have that at these darn vet checks! At Deadwood there were a few horses. We pretty much vetted right in. I met criteria and off we went.

    We had only an hour to get to Michigan Bluff. It wasn?t looking good but mom didn?t have a negative thought in her head- we would make it. Just before veering off onto the steep descent we asked to pass a couple of horses. Defeated, they were taking their time to MB; they wished us well and yelled that we looked good and they thought we could make it. Down, down, down, we went. Both of us traveling as fast as possible, intent on the trail, and all of its hazards. Mom yelled at each excessively rocky place and slowed,  picking up the fast pace once she could sense that I was over the rough spot.