<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Ever dye your horse's tail?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:31:22 GMT 2003
  • - Typef
  • - Karla Watson

    Re: [RC] Ever dye your horse's tail? - Karla Watson

    I am a hairstylist and have used my violet toners (which have low volume peroxide) to cancel out the yellow in my grey's tail. Never had any problems as its very mild but works VERY fast, usually within 5-8 min. and you have to watch it carefully. Purple cancels yellow and blue cancels orange. Thats why those shampoos have a blue/purple color in them for the white horses. The toners the hair stylists use are much more efficient as they open up that hair cuticle just enough to drop out the yellow and get it out of the hair. You have to be careful not to process too long or you will have a purpleish/grey tail and it takes a few weeks for it to get back out--unless you use a clarifying shampoo like swimmers use. You also want to get it rinsed out really good and don't let them swish their tail while its in there. Be sure to wash tail very well before using toners or dyes so you start with a clean slate. Clarifying shampoos work REALLY well.

    I finally had to give up getting my boy's tail clean cause he just gets it filthy/dirty within a couple of weeks anyway and we aren't doing the show horse thing anyway.

    Karla

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 7:31 PM
    Subject: [RC] Ever dye your horse's tail?

    I have some permanent human hair color that I'm not going to use on me. Got the idea to dye my horse's tail. Comments? Like, will it make his tail fall out? You can reply privately. :)

    April (Yes, I'm tinkering again!)
    Tanna (Why would you do that to me???)
    Serts (Rolling on the ground, laughing)
    Daniel (Yeah, let's do that!)