<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Moonlight in VT
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:53 GMT 2003
  • - Mike Sherrell
  • - Lif Strand

    Re: [RC] [RC] Moonlight in VT - Elizabeth Szeliga

    I thought that the awards at the Moonlight ride were nifty, though they were given at registration rather than at completion. 50 mile riders ere given a nice tote bag that is embroidered with the ride name and a horse. In the tote bag was a 3 dose syringe of paste electrolytes, and our ride packet. I think that these awards were distributed in an efficient fashion, given the circumstances.

    This ride was held in an extremely hectic situation: there was a 100 mile ultra marathon with 300+ runners entered, a 100 mile ride and a 50 mile ride. I think that it was extremely well managed and organized.

    At the "awards ceremony", every horse and rider was announced, their ride time, and a personal comment about most. It was done in an efficient manner, given that most folks had been up for a good part of the night, and that there were about 500 people milling around waiting for food to be served!

    I can't begin to tell you how much fun I had on this ride. It was a beautiful, tough trail, with many Vermont-style panoramic views. The trail was well marked, and there was abundant help at each hold. It was a hoot to be out on the trail with the runners, and to cheer them on as we passed. It was my first experience riding in the dark, and I think that the runners helped me through it, as it may have seemed like a *long*, lonely ride in the dark if they weren't out there.

    Special thanks go to Sue Greenall, ride manager, who I suspect also did the neat embroidery work on our tote bags. The Rojeks were gracious hosts to 500+ people at their farm (can you imagine having that many people camped in your backyard?).

    I hope that riders will try to put this event on your calendar for next year - it is quite the experience, complete with fireworks and music at the start of the 100 mile races!

    Liz Szeliga