<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Tevis Rules
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:54 GMT 2003
  • - Sullivan
  • - Tara Wheeler

    Re: [RC] Tevis Rules - Howard Bramhall

    I find myself wondering if "Rocket man" here is really an endurance rider or some outside agitator.  Regardless of who he is, he obviously doesn't own a copy of the AERC rule book.  Because if he did, he'd notice that this is one of the things that make AERC so darn cool.  They allow different ideas at endurance rides.  This ain't FEI here, and most riders appreciate that.

    It's why you can have the OD, Tevis, the ROC, XP & Leatherwood; each with it's own individual flavor.  It's American as apple pie and Chevrolet (personally, I prefer Dodge).  This doesn't mean you can go over the time limit, cut trail, be a rude rider (not even in California, lol, jk), not know whether you really started a ride or not, or use illegal drugs on your horse (evidently, for the rider, this is OK) at an AERC ride.  But, AERC does allow other organizations to throw in their own award system in addition to the AERC awards.  This is very cool.  Heck, we even allow FEI and their silly rules at some of our rides.  You can't get any more open than that.

    I really do believe that is why the AERC rule book is written in such general language similar to our Constitution.  This way it leaves itself open to future interpretation so the sport is able to consider any new ideas that come along as time marches on.  As in a mind, it's better to have an open one than one that is closed and shut down.  This is necessary for an organization to continue to grow and flourish.  And, it's why I'm proud to be a member.

    cya,
    Howard  (dreamin of mountains and cooler weather)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Ridecamp Guest
    Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 1:26 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Tevis Rules

    RM rocketman@xxxxxxxxx
    So let me get this straight ... Tevis is given the right to have rules that are not in keeping with AERC rules so that their riders get their points?   And the XP rides are allowed to run their ride under their own rules even tho they are not in keeping with AERC?  I sure would like to hear from Randy or Steph or other BOD members on how this pick and choose attitude is justified? I am pretty blown away when this stuff comes up when I see some rides being nailed to the cross, and others come along and it is "oh well" attitude.  Who decided who gets away with what?  RM

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.