<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] That Potato Guy
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:56 GMT 2003
  • - sindy mccosker
  • - Steph Teeter

    [RC] That Potato Guy - Howard Bramhall

    That's it, I'm growing a handlebar mustache!  That Potato guy is too cool.  I gotta telll ya'll, after seeing the photos from this one, I'm not even sure 50 miles is true endurance.  Man, what a ride ole Tevis is.  No wonder AERC was founded not far from there.  Mountains, no humidity, heck, I'll wear a scarf so I don't choke on that dust.  It's just a shame that you gotta be a millionaire to afford horse property out there in California.  Plus, pretty soon they won't allow you to own anything larger than a VW Beetle to pull your horse trailer.  Let me know when they come up with an electric truck that pulls as well as my diesel.

    There are rumors that we are having a 100 mile Ole Fart Male ride next year at the Old Dominion.  Our East Cost heroes will be Jim Holland, Jerry Fruth and Truman! I think the 4 of us should grow handlebar mustaches in honor of Mr. Potato.  I'm crewing (I sure as Hell ain't riding a 100) with some ladies from Hooters serving refreshments.  They guys will not want to leave to go back out on the trail again and will be jealous as heck that Howard gets to stay with the Hooter's girls.  Jim has promised to teach me how to shave off those ten seconds at the vet check.  lol.  Should be something to see!

    cya,
    Howard

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Linda B. Merims
    Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 11:42 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Toes, Ankles, and Knees--Gender Differences?

    Just browsing Lucy's Tevis web site.  She has a great
    picture of Potato Richardson coming up the trail out
    of Squaw Valley:

    The man appears to be using standard English stirrups.

    My greatest barrier to long hours in the saddle is:

    1.  Knees
    2.  Toes going to sleep

    With my knees being the real gating factor.  Most of
    my (female) friends feel it in their knees long before
    anywhere else in their bodies.  Julie Suhr
    mentioned in her wonderful book "Ten Feet
    Tall--Still" that her weak spot is her ankles.

    Do men have these same physical "hot spots" as
    women?  Do you guys feel it in the knees--or
    does the stress manifest itself somewhere else
    (back, shoulders...)?

    Linda B. Merims
    Massachusetts, USA