Re: Running Martingales

Kathy_Mayeda@atce.com said:
Funny we would be discussing this, because I just order my first running martingale from Go The Distance as part of my new color change for Beau.  I never used one before, but thought I would try it for my racy guy, just for the heck of it.  I ve been using a french link snaffle, and decided I need more brakes because I pretty much sored his mouth trying to hold him back on the last day of DVE.  I purchased a kimberwicke also.  Dom thought that I should try the RM with the french link first before going to the kimberwicke (without the RM first), but then again, Becky Hart, my instructor when I slow down enough to take a lesson, uses kimberwickes or Tteam bit and no RMs.

I'm with Becky on this one.  We use french-link snaffles in the arena during lessons and Kimberwickes on the trail.  The Kimberwickes are attached to side-pull bridles so that we can drop the bit after the excitement of the ride starts has simmered down.  We never use running martingales -- they change the action of the bit and cause horses to lean or duck behind.   And, as Abby stated, there are some very specific times where they may be okay in a very temporary way (which I'm not going to go into either...the archives have volumes on this subject.)  And...NEVER use them with a curb bit.  This includes the misnamed Tom Thumb snaffle (which is really a curb) which I've seen at rides. (ouch!)

Sue

"If all you can do is what you've always
done, then all you can be is what you are right now."
                              author unknown

Sue Brown
Tyee Farm
ARICP Certified Riding Instructor