Stops, was Running martingales

You need to TEACH a horse to stop.  As Ray Hunt says, "The reins are
attached to the feet. Otherwise, you're just pulling on the head."  He
also said "Some people think I'm a grumpy old man--I'm not here for you,
I'm here for the horse."  I can relate.
It's training, folks. No shortcuts.
A Running Martingale has it's applications in good horsemanship but is no
more a solution to a training problem than is a spade bit.  Which, by the
way, is a superb piece of equipment in TRAINED hands on A TRAINED horse.
Renie #1673