Cleaning suede

If the leather is split leather, that is, rough on both sides, you can throw
them in the washing machine. Cold water wash, with a little fabric softener
in the rinse cycle. My family owns and runs a Saddle Shop and my mother makes
chaps.  I've done it many times.  If the leather is truly suede, it's smooth
on one side, they need professional cleaning.
Hope this helps.
Sallie