Re: dry spots and white hairs

From: "Barbara B. Peck" <bpeck@together.net>
Sue:
  I've seen alot of horses, where if the damage is not severe, will
not retain the white hairs.. (damaged is not permanent)
depends on whether the horse is repeatedly sored
or not.
Barb

Thanks, Barb.  It's good to know that if they show up, they may not necessarily be permanent.  I have two horses in custom saddles now because their saddles got too tight as their muscles got more beefed up -- and an increasing amount of downhill trotting added to the problem.  I noticed what was happening when one horse developed welts after a long stretch of downhill trotting at a ride (more than we had ever done by quite a bit.)  He got his saddle ordered the next week.  (He also has a dippy back so not much "off the rack" even came close to fitting him.)

The other horse who has them got them over a long period of time in which, as his body and back got more fit, the saddle got tighter...there was never one particular time and he didn't have much in the way of back soreness but did have some dry spots near his withers -- primarily what alerted me to the problem.  Needless to say, he also got a custom saddle (another hard-to-fit back.)  His white hairs show up the most when his winter coat comes in.

Both horses are fine now, but the white hairs still show up...mostly with the winter coats...less so with the summer coats.  And no sore backs...even with a fair amount of downhill trotting.

Which brings me to a question...what is the physiology behind the hairs turning white?  What actually happens to the hair follicles that causes the hair to turn white and not just die and fall out, leaving a bald spot?  Why then can some hairs grow out white and then go back to their normal color?  I was told (apparently incorrectly <g>) that once you had the white hairs, you would always see them when that particular coat grew in (the one present when the damage occurred.)

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.