<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Low heels (was navicular)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:21 GMT 2003
  • - Jeff Brickson
  • - Bob Morris

    Re: [RC] [RC] Low heels (was navicular) - Howard Bramhall

    I did not to mean to imply that all Arabs have low heels.  My two both do and I have seen quite a few at endurance rides that seem to fall into this category.  I, also, thought that it was discussed on Ridecamp a long time ago and it seemed to be a more than average kind of thing.

    Anyway, Tammy, I did not mean to infer anything about your horses, in particular.  Like I tried to say in my post, I'm not sure that barefootin is made for mountains and, even, if it will work for me with endurance.  I'm just giving it a shot, and if it works I'll let you know; if it doesn't, I'll let you know that too.  Course, it appears you're not all that interested, so I'll scratch you off the list.

    It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will get all worked up when another person just comments on something "new" that they are trying with their horses. I must say your following comment:  "If you can't afford shoes or proper hoof protection, feed, shots, etc...my opinion is don't own a horse," kind of sucks, in my opinion!  Next thing you know, you're gonna tell folks that if they can't afford a gooseneck $45,000.00 horse trailer with living quarters they shouldn't even bother showing up to an endurance ride.  I think that's kind of arrogant hogwash.  Remind me to send you a copy of my tax return so you can deem me worthy, or not, to own a horse.

    cya,
    Howard (still going to rides with a tent and a 3 horse bumper pull trailer)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Trailrite@xxxxxxx
    Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 12:14 PM
    To: mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; hwb67@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Low heels (was navicular)

       If most Arabs are supposed to have "in general" low heels...why do we have over 30 horses "Arabs" here on this ranch...and not one of them have low heels.  Better recheck this general statement.
        If you are shoeing your horses balanced then, this will not be the case.  Anyone that knows our horses and have came to see them for purchasing will know this is true.  We get them in sometimes with various types of hoof problems.  But with our farriers, (Rob Kalb & Levi Robinson) they soon start to form a normal hoof over time.
        Oh Yeah, they look just like the ones here on the ranch that have never had shoes on.  Can't tell the difference until you'll notice that some have medal on the bottom for hoof ware protection vis over ware with the miles put on hard & rocky ground.
        If you can't afford shoes or proper hoof protection, feed, shots, etc...my opinion is don't own a horse.  With that said, my grandson & I are off for the Tevis...with shoes on our horses!

    See you on the trail, and good luck to all that are entered!

    Tammy Robinson
    Trail-Rite Ranch & Products
    18171 Lost Creek Road
    Saugus, CA 91390