<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] trailer loading
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:23 GMT 2003
  • - Howard Bramhall
  • - Susan Garlinghouse

    Re: [RC] trailer loading - April Johnson

    Yes, but don't expect to get a frightened animal in a trailer in 20 minutes.
    I had an Appaloosa that loaded fine when I got him, then got progressively
    worse because I was too much of a pansy and tried to coax him in when he
    would balk. I got sick of it. So I had 3 45 minute sessions of butt tapping
    to get him to go over, under, and around EVERYTHING I could find. Then 2
    sessions of 1 hour each of at-the-trailer work. Just unhurriedly loading and
    unloading each foot. By the time I was done, that horse would calmly get
    into a trailer at 2 AM in a thunderstorm (I know, I tried and he did it
    without hesitation).

    I love the JL method. Just don't rush it.

    April
    Nashville, TN