<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Ride Manager Integrity
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:30:23 GMT 2003
  • - amber applegate
  • - Linda B. Merims

    Re: [RC] Ride Manager Integrity - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Rides 2 Far
    Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 6:33 PM
    To: mitts_n@xxxxxxxxxxx
    Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Ride Manager Integrity

    > Remember that several of us in this discussion ARE ride managers.

    Count me. I've managed quite a few, co-managed quite a few...at 4 different locations that I can think of. Never considered getting the results correct to be an unexpected burden.  By the way, the manager of Longstreet's Charge dropped by for lunch yesterday before Steph announced that the matter had been solved and really got his back up quick when he heard about the discussion. (and this is an easy going guy). He was ready to put up the money for a protest himself.  His statement was, "If I did
    anything like that I'd never get away with it from my *riders*. They'd keep me honest.

    That's sort of my point.  If this is going on like some have implied on here, the riders would know about it and do just what the manager of Longstreet's Charge said they'd do to him.  So, why isn't this happening?

    If it's a serious problem all the riders omitted from the start statistics would know that they aren't listed.  Is this a case of non completers not complaining?  And, if they're keeping quiet to get their money back, how is the Ride Manager making any money by giving out refunds?  If he's going to give the refund, why not keep the portion that would go to AERC from the refund and send AERC that money?  I just don't get it.

    I know when I've been pulled at a ride; it happens more times than I'd care to admit.  And, at those rides (the list is endless) I do not get any sort of refund.  Even though I hate looking at it, I do expect to see my name on that list, at the bottom, for non completions (hey, I rule in this category), when the AERC official results from that ride are posted.  If I don't see it, I would wonder why not.  And, as silly as this sounds, I would contact the RM (probably to thank them; haha, jk).  I would want to know "what's up."  Am I alone here?

    I ask these questions only to make the point that if this is a problem, then there are riders involved in the defrauding, also.  This is why I am having difficulty believing it is really a problem at all.  Maybe I'm just wrong, a complete idiot, or extremely naive here, but, I don't see all these riders keeping their mouths shut if a Manager is being dishonest like that.  As the RM from Longstreet said, "the riders would keep me honest."  And, I agree with him.

    cya,

    Howard (having difficulty being serious after watching Robin Williams on HBO last night; that man is a National treasure)