<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] What constitutes a Start?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:29:50 GMT 2003
  • - a hurley
  • - goearth

    Re: [RC] What constitutes a Start? - goearth

    The Sport of Endurance is a team.  Rider and Horse.  If you get off and walk up a hill to conserve and assist the horse it is good strategy.  If you get off and run down the hill because you can traverse the decent as fast as the horse can with you on them and save the front legs it is good stategy.  If the horse is tired towards the end of an endurance ride and you can help them recover or take the load off it is good stategy.  Any way you can help the horse is fine to me.  Like i said before this sport does not have atheletes on the top.  Why even consider there is something to discuss when someone can help their horse thru?  My first 100, the OD in 77, i thought i was gonna die because i ran and walked 40 miles and got in at 4:45.  That buckle means more to me than any other i have.  Because i was off for 40 miles does it dampen that feat.  No, it does not.  tom sites
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Howard Bramhall <hwb67@xxxxxxx>
    To: goearth <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 1:24 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] What constitutes a Start?

    And what constitutes a ride?  I mean, if you get off and walk, or jog, with your horse, you aren't really riding are you?  I think that should be discussed along the same level as the start criteria.  If you're not riding, what exactly are you doing? Your horse isn't carrying your weight, so shouldn't your weight class change during the time you aren't on him? And, why is this legal?

    cya,
    Howard (I was a heavyweight for 40 miles and a featherweight for ten; so that averages out to a bantam weight)