<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] 4 yoas in distance riding
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:58 GMT 2003
  • - halterlady
  • - Lori Bertolucci

    Re: [RC] 4 yoas in distance riding - Heidi Smith

    I used to take my original endurance horse Surrabu to our high school rodeo club playdays, and game him in an English saddle.  (Man, talk about ancient history!  <g>)  Everyone laughed, but it was funny how the laughter got kinda quiet when we started placing in the various events....  (And AIR, the gal who was one of our top contenders and went to State HS rodeo finals in barrels and poles was riding a purebred Arab gelding--an old Utez son, if memory serves.  She was more conventional in her western saddle, and was pretty serious about it--I may have placed pretty regularly, but she WON pretty regularly--but boy howdy, I'd've loved to have had the opportunity to endurance ride that horse of hers--he was a real athlete!)

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 6:37 PM
    Subject: Fw: [RC] 4 yoas in distance riding

    Well you can imagine the looks and comments I would get whe I rode my Arab endurance horse to work sale days at the cattle stockyards. I also rode him in my english saddle, much to the horror of the cowboy boss. I only took one horse to everyone elses 2 or 3 horses for the whole 9-10 hours of work. Not only was he able to work all day long, he wasn't saddle weary and tired like the heavy muscled quarter horses. I will say he wasn't too fond of the bulls, but did learn to open pen gates in a hurry, I am sure for self-preservaton. I still get ribbed occasionally when I see the cowboys I worked with back then.