<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Large horse-low heart-rate ??
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:58 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - DVeritas

    Re: [RC] Large horse-low heart-rate ?? - Heidi Smith

    I'd suspect that this horse is considerably more fit than you suspect, given his background.  I'd also suspect from your description that he has considerable Standardbred breeding--even though they are larger, they are bred to be able to trot repeated heats in one day, and in terms of metabolic suitability to our sport, they'd be my choice after CMK or other old-style Arabs.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 5:12 PM
    Subject: [RC] Large horse-low heart-rate ??

    I have a question.My friend started about 6 weeks ago training with me for our first LD.This horse is a large quarter ,possible quarter cross,it is more built like a standard-bred.He is between 12-14 years old.We put his new heart-rate monitor on him and did 10 miles the other day.He could not get the heart-rate above 90 without really flying.To get it to 150 required cantering up a steep hill and we had been climbing for quite a while as it was !This horse has not had time to be in really good shape.Like I said he is pretty large and I was wondering if that may have something to do with it.The only goal for this horse is 25/30 milers.He also has an incredible calm mind.He is a police horse and has done quite a few sitcoms and movies, can this be part of it ?
     Our goal is the Norco ride and I look forward to meeting some of you.I am sure you will know who we are, he will be on the quarter and me on pony.What a site !!