<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] water bottle filters/and keeping cool in the sun
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:58 GMT 2003
  • - Sullivan
  • - Allegra

    Re: [RC] water bottle filters/and keeping cool in the sun - Laurie Durgin

    Campmor catalog has backpacking filter bottles you can order. Pricey though.I also freeze my water here in Ga. I buy .88 sipper bottles from Wallyworld and Freeze 1/3 full with water. I then add  c old water. Put in my insulated  cup holders on my saddle. It stays cold for 2 1/2 hours and I have water immediately and as it thaws. If I freeze the whole thing, they don't thaw fast enough.(Of course you could take one half ice and one full ice and and start one one till the other thaws, like an all day trip, I keep about 6 bottles half iced all summer and the sipper cups (about a pint and larger ones are about a quart  clean easy in DW.But I only see thenm in the summer at the discount alnd dollar stores, sure beats the 4.00 bike bottles)Cold water cools you faster and is utilized faster I read recently. I also use the wet bandanna thing.Or if all else fails, just dunk your shirt I use to work out in the sun and we did that to keep cool in the park service and at 6 flags.
    Laurie and Rascal----- Original Message -----
    From: Maggie & David
    Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 7:07 PM
    To: heidi sowards; ridecamp
    Subject: Re: [RC] water bottle filters

    > I occasionally run out of water and this would be a great
    > alternative since I ride where there are tons of streams
    > and creeks.

    Be careful doing this, as filters are designed for different purposes. Most
    of the filters on the market only take out the things that taste bad, not
    the microbes that will make you sick. Read the package carefully before you
    buy them.

    Maggie Pritchard--with training in wilderness survival and Search and Rescue
    Medical Responder