<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Lisa's comments on thumps
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:17 GMT 2003
  • - Joe Long
  • - CMNewell

    Re: [RC] Lisa's comments on thumps - Lisa Redmond

    Heidi--

    Thank you for the additions...as usual, I end up learning something when I
    "teach", which suits me just fine. The day I stop learning is the day I'll
    probably just park my butt in a rocking chair on the front porch.  From your
    info, it appears that it is indeed a DCAD issue.

    I was looking at the issue purely from the calcium angle, since the original
    question dealt with calcium from LyteNow versus calcium from alfalfa being
    stored.  This still holds true--but as Heidi points out, there is a lot more
    to muscle contraction than simply calcium levels. In an effort to try
    (somewhat successfully) to keep things simple, I left out info that probably
    shouldn't have been left out.  Truman sent me a message reminding me of the
    fact that horses are also in a state of alkalosis at the end of a ride--not
    surprising, since because of the loss of so many positive ions from the body
    via sweat and because of lack of oxygen.

    You've also cleared up something else that bugged me--I was always taught
    that the myelin sheath also made a nerve fire faster because the "charge" or
    "impulse" traveled faster when it didn't have to hit every spot on an
    exposed nerve membrane, it only hits the "nodes" between the myelin cells.
    What baffled me was how this fit in with the fact that ions were inside the
    neuron but the myelin sheath was outside.  Your explanation makes more sense
    to me.

    Moral of the story--no single electrolyte is going to solve any of these
    problems.  They all are interconnected in their functions.  The way we
    figure out how is by examining them one at a time.

    Lisa