<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] thumps (Technical response-long)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:18 GMT 2003
  • - Cheryl & Randy Winter
  • - Trishmare7

    Re: [RC] thumps (Technical response-long) - Lisa Redmond

    I'm going to disagree with Dr. Tomlinson about the storing calcium
    comment--as I have a different take on it from dealing with calcium issues
    in dairy cows.  Bear with me--this is somewhat scientific, I'll try to
    explain it as I go:

    The issue here isn't so much the ability to store calcium as it is to
    remobilize it from storage (bones).  When an animal's body is unable to
    mobilize it from their primary storage site rapidly enough (in cows, the
    problem is related to the onset of lactation, but the biochemical mechanics
    still apply, here), it "cheats" and takes it from muscle.  The larger
    muscles (of course) are going to be more likely to be affected, since they
    have more calcium in them.  In cattle, it results in "milk fever", or a
    temporary paralysis--in other words, reversible--because calcium is
    necessary for muscle contraction.

    The original theory was that when an animal is getting adequate calcium from
    the diet, as in alfalfa hay, it
    stops mobilizing calcium from the bones.  In dairy cattle, we used to reduce
    the calcium in the diet for the last three weeks of pregnancy to force the
    body to start pulling calcium from the cow's bones.  Now we know that it's
    not so much the amount of calcium in the diet as it is a function of
    something called the "dietary cation-anion difference", or DCAD.

    As you probably remember from chemistry class, ions are either positively or
    negatively charged.  Interestingly enough, what researchers found out was
    that when there was a positive difference (enough potassium and magnesium to
    cause an overall positive DCAD in the blood compared to sulfur and
    chlorine),  high-producing cows were more likely to develop milk fever.  If
    they have a negative DCAD, milk fever isn't an issue--the calcium will be
    mobilized more easily because positive ions are attracted by negative ions,
    and calcium has a +2 charge on it....thus it is more likely to be mobilized
    if the DCAD balance in the animal is negative rather than positive.

    Now--why is this tied to alfalfa?  Not, as one would suspect, the calcium
    content.  Instead, it's because of the POTASSIUM content in forages,
    especially alfalfa.  High-potassium forages cause more problems with milk
    fever than low-potassium forages.  It has gotten so difficult to get low
    potassium hay (because fertilizer use is loading the soil with potassium)
    that we've resorted to making mineral mixes designed to give a negative DCAD
    to the diet, and thus stimulate calcium mobilization pathways (reverse the
    storage pathways, essentially) to prevent the body from taking it from the
    muscle in such large amounts.  How does this tie in with thumps in horses?
    The diaphragm in a horse is a huge muscle, so I would expect it to be
    susceptible to calcium loss just as the leg and hip muscles in a cow are
    during the onset of lactation.  My guess is that the skeletal muscles are
    creating such a demand for calcium for continued contractions that some gets
    pulled from the smooth muscle of the diaphragm, and cause the fluttering
    commonly called thumps.

    This makes me wonder if perhaps this issue is what led to the MARE report
    regarding potassium-free electrolytes.  I do have a couple of papers
    regarding DCAD measurements in sedentary horses that I need to dig out and
    study (If I can remember where I put them!  LOL)  One of these days I'm
    going to get my hands on a copy of the MARE report and read it, too.
    However, this doesn't mean I advocate stopping electrolyte supplementation
    that y'all currently use---until there is concrete scientific proof that
    this is related to thumps, my recommendations on electrolyte use are the
    same as Susan Garlinghouse's.