<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Protecting Horses / vet checks
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:28:19 GMT 2003
  • - Annie George
  • - Sundaez

    Re: [RC] Protecting Horses / vet checks - Truman Prevatt

    If a horse does not meet pulse parameters say 64 within 30 minutes at a vet check then they are out without any intervention from the vet. This is a very precise condition that only requires some device to keep time and some device to measure heart rate. It is similar to you must answer 20 questions correctly on you drivers licensee test in order to get a drivers licensee. The P&R person is not making any assessment on the horse's ability to continue. He is counting pulse, timing and comparing the pulse count and time to those set forth in the requirements. If the horse doesn't meet the requirements, he is out.

    In our case we did have a vet there to look the horses over and watch them come in and go out - of course with the option to pull. We also had phone connection back to camp for the treatment vet or trailer if necessary .

    Truman

    Bob Morris wrote:
    Steph:
    ?
    You stated <<<1)Having a P/R gate into a timed hold, but no vet check>>> I refer you to Rule 2.1.7 which requires a Vet at all veterinary control checkpoints.
    ?
    Now, if you declare it just a P&R control with out a Vet in attendance you have relinquished all control. The non-vet cannot be empowered to declare a horse not fit to continue as this is a Veterinarian function. You might state the P&R control is just that, the horse must remain until the pulse is down to standard and it can proceed when the standard is met with no time limit imposed.
    ?
    If a time limit is imposed I see the argument could be that the P&R person is declaring the horse unfit to continue and in that is performing a diagnostic function reserved to licensed veterinarians.
    ?
    Yes, we get away with these things but being prepared for them is better than wonder why we are hanging on the end of the rope.
    ?
    Bob

    Bob Morris
    Morris Endurance Enterprises