<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] PURPOSE OF THE 'TROT OUT'
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:27:25 GMT 2003
  • - Merryben
  • - Lisa Redmond

    Re: [RC] PURPOSE OF THE 'TROT OUT' - Heidi Smith

    Well, soundness is the most obvious concern at the trot-out.  And that's why I told Roger that I think it is silly to make a rule about hazing.  Do the people who have to haze their horses because they haven't trained them look like unprepared idiots?  Yes, they do.   Does that have any bearing on whether or not the horse is sound?  No, it doesn't.  So far, AERC does not have rules against lack of education of the horse, as long as it does not cause the horse to endanger anyone else.  I would say, though, that I look for a LOT more than just soundness at the trot-out.  I also look for indications that the horse is tired.  If the horse is dull and unresponsive to the hazing, that's a bad sign.  If he is fidgeting and going every which way instead of forward, that's sure as heck different from being tired.  The vast majority of vets CAN tell the difference.  If the horse is tripping and stumbling over his feet because he is disoriented, ride vets may well add that up with other parameters and pull or hold him anyway, even if he is sound.  So I'd have to say, Frank, that the trot-out has multiple purposes, only the most obvious of which is determining soundness.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 9:56 PM
    Subject: [RC] PURPOSE OF THE 'TROT OUT'

    What exactly is the purpose of the "trot out"?
        Heidi, et.al., can tell me I'm sure.
        Is it to determine whether the horse is sound?
        If so, then I don't see whether hazing is or is not even relevant.
        I know some would tell me that some vets use the trot out to check on the horse's attitude, alertness, willingness, etc.
        But, isn't soundness the primary concern during a trot out?

    Haze 'em , if you got to, don't haze 'em if you don't want to, but to determine whether they are sound, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3 or grade 4, get 'em to TROT.
        (I know I'm probably wrong, but I KNOW this post is "endurance-related"...:^).
        Frank.