<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] RC Shivering
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:27:28 GMT 2003
  • - Lori & Rick Stewart
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    Re: [RC] RC Shivering - Lisa Redmond

    Just a thought, here...It seems that most folks remarking on shivering
    horses are talking about Arabs.  Could it be breed-related to a certain
    extent, like the shivering in Chihuahuas?

    Heidi, Susan....your thoughts on this?
    Lisa
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 11:00 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] RC Shivering

    Dorann LaPerch bonnfyrefarms@xxxxxxxxx
    I have a horse here at the farm that belongs to a client.  She is 10 years
    old, and was born here at Bonn-Fyre Farms (I owned her mother and her
    father). Her mother was an extremely high strung mare.  This mare has had a
    really easy life, and in fact its only since the start of this year that she
    is having a "real work schedule".

    This mare was diagnosed at Alamo Pintado Equine Clinic with a bleeding ulcer
    about three years ago.  At that time her life consisted of being turned out
    to play in pasture 6 days a week with her friends. Brought into a stall with
    a paddock in the afternoon. Not what I would consider stressful.

    Now about the shivering....This mare shivers when she is tied to the trailer
    and is getting tacked up, she shivers when you come back from riding her and
    is tied to the trailer, sometimes she shivers when you stop on the trail and
    are waiting say for a young horse to cross water, she shivers when you take
    her to a new place to ride her.   The shivering does stop when you ride her.
    Her owner has been pleading with me to take her to an endurance ride (LD).
    I really believe this mare can not mentally handle that. Physcially she is
    in great shape. This topic is so timely for me. I am looking forward to
    hearing from others on this. I feel that I am doing what is best for her by
    no agreeing to take her on a ride. I could never forgive myself if something
    happened to her.  Even though her owner has told me not to worry.  I am
    going with MY instincts.  This mares base personality is nervous, and I
    really believe she internalizes everything.

    So everyone, what do you think about a horse like this going to an LD ride?
    Am I asking for trouble?  Who else has a horse that quivers like a bowl of
    Jello?  This horse has not been "scoped" since her episode three years ago.

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,
    http://www.endurance.net.