<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] FW: Heather Reynolds Wins Fort Howes 100-Mile Endurance Ride
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:53 GMT 2003
  • - Trishmare7
  • - Ridecamp Guest

    [RC] FW: Heather Reynolds Wins Fort Howes 100-Mile Endurance Ride - Steph Teeter

    Steph
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Fritz Harshbarger [mailto:fthowesride2002@xxxxxxxxx]
    Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 10:58 PM
    To: f.harshbarger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Heather Reynolds Wins Fort Howes 100-Mile Endurance Ride

    HEATHER BERGANTZ REYNOLDS WINS FORT HOWES 100-MILE RIDE

    Ashland, Montana (June 7, 2002): Heather Bergantz Reynolds, riding Crystals Charm, shaved an amazing 2 hours off the previous course record in the Fort Howes 100-mile endurance ride Friday. Jan Stevens, the ride manager, said, We had some of the best endurance racers in the U.S. attending this years 100-mile. I thought the course record would be broken. I never guessed it would be by this large a margin.

    The Fort Howes 100-mile Endurance Ride is held on the Circle Bar Ranch (20 miles South of Ashland) and on Custer National Forest land. The start of the race was 4:30 in the morning. Fifty-seven horses and riders were entered. There were five mandatory rest stops for the horses totaling 3 and one-half hours. Heather crossed the finish line at 4:57 pm for a total ride time of 8 hours and 57 minutes.

    Heather is from San Jose, California and said that she had expected the course to be more difficult. I was just hoping to average 10 miles an hour. Most of the course is wide open and you can really move, she said. She had one scare during a hold period. She had passed the veterinary check and was preparing to leave when she discovered her horse was missing one shoe. She had to get this repaired before she went on and lost some time doing so.

    Heather is no stranger to endurance riding. In her 14 years of endurance riding she has had many successes. Last year she won the Pan Am endurance championship on the same horse which she calls by the nickname Red. She was the AERC National Endurance Junior Champion.

    Placing second in Fridays Fort Howes 100-mile race was Cia Reis riding Wave. Cia had a ride time of only 9 hours and 18 minutes. She has been riding in endurance races for 10 years. Cia was the U.S. National Champion in the 50-mile endurance last year. Cia said, I really wanted to win this race. Wave really rocks going down hill but is slow going uphill. There were three of us, Heather, Valerie (Kanavy), and I, who were running pretty much together. Then in that last 15-mile loop Heather kept up the pace and my horse started to get a bit tired  I wont push my horse.

    Cia said she had trouble getting control of her horse at the start and by the time she got to the first hold she was back in fifteenth place. She worked at slowly gaining on the field.

    Cia lives in Pennsylvania and says this is her first ride in the West. She said it was a lovely ride, well-marked, and plenty of water. The trails were mostly rarely used two-tracks or rutted cow paths. She thought the competition was fierce because this was the largest selection ride in the U.S. this year. A lot of top endurance riders were here today because they wanted to qualify to represent the U.S. in the World Competition in Spain in September, she said.

    Valerie Kanavy, from Virginia,  came in third with a very good ride time of 9 hours and 25 minutes. She was riding Shahdon.  This was only his third 100 so I was very proud of his performance, she said. Valerie has won the gold medal in two World Endurance competitions.

    Other top finishers were: Fourth: Lois McAfee from Indiana riding Gallant Legacy, fifth: Carol Giles riding SAR Tiki Stranger, Sixth: Jan Worthington riding Brown R. Timothy, and seventh: Candy Barba riding Zalmara Din. At 10:00 pm there were still 10 riders out on the course. Riders not completing the course in 24 hours are disqualified. The ride management put glow sticks out on the last loop so that riders can continue to follow the course after dark.

    Friday evening was topped off when three hundred people were treated to a pork roast dinner. Four whole pigs were roasted in a pit, then dug out of the pit and carried to the dinner tents with a back hoe. The pork was served with scalloped potatoes, tossed salad, and apple crisp for desert. One of the entrants played and sang country music for the enjoyment of all.

    The Fort Howes Endurance Rides continue on Saturday and Sunday. Saturdays rides will be an Open AERC 25-mile limited distance ride and an Open AERC 50-mile ride. As of Friday evening there were 30 entrants in the 25-mile ride and 41 entrants in the 50-mile ride.

    END

    Three photographs are being sent as email attachments in support of this news release. The photos should be credited to Fritz Harshbarger. Any public relations correspondence should be directed to   fthowesride2002@xxxxxxxxx

    Do You Yahoo!?