<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Critical Thinking/The six rules of evidential reasoning /was pet communicators
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:54 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - Lori Bertolucci

    Re: [RC] [RC] Critical Thinking/The six rules of evidential reasoning /was pet communicators - S.N.

    Hi Cindy,

    I'd need the actual study data, not the book.  Anyone can and and often do
    publish books claiming all sorts of bizarre things. Common tactics to add
    credibility are: quoting non-existent studies, anecdotal evidence (which is
    only useful if it is duplicable and contains enough information to be
    tested), not referencing actual claims (i.e. the phrase "In a study done,
    such and such was discovered to be true"....well...what study? Done by whom
    and where and at what time? All these things are important - claims must be
    referenced) and misquoting actual studies.  Most, if not all, truly
    significant findings are published in the appropriate peer- reviewed
    scientific journals and can be referenced from there. One of the most
    important things in a study is duplicity - can it be done again and achieve
    similar results? A study that produces results that cannot be duplicated is
    not very worthwhile for evidentiary purposes.

    As the co-chair of the office of Alternative Medicine, it can also be said
    that he is not exactly in a position of an independent researcher.

    Even researchers that have gone down in history are guilty of these actions.
    Carl Jung was big on anecdotal evidence and a lot of his work boiled down to
    "It is this way because I think it is.", and he'd quote anecdotes to support
    it, without doing actual controlled studies.

    Finally, I have no doubt that if a religious person is aware that people are
    praying for him/her, it is comforting. And a comfortable patient is more
    likely to see progress than a worried, stressed one. But does the prayer
    itself have a mystical effect? Absolutely not. Its value is in the emotional
    reassurance provided by the patient's loved ones - which *is* highly
    important to an individual's well-being and recovery.

    And yes, we're getting way off topic. *stopping now*.

    ~Shere