<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:57 GMT 2003
  • - FASTGraphic
  • - Dbeverly4

    Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard - Heidi Smith

    The extremes of electrolyting are more necessary in horses that don't eat well.  So it could well be one of those "chicken-or-egg" problems.  The horse with food in his stomach is less apt to have problems with the lytes, and he is less apt to need as many.

    And yes, we could be creating problems with the lytes--"everything possesses the defects of its qualities" as the saying goes.

    What can we do with a horse that has problems with mega-lytes?  Ride slower.

    What I find interesting is that we rode for year without lytes, turned in some remarkable times, and didn't treat many horses--at least not after we dropped the pulse rates from 72 down to 60 or 64 and rode with the gate-into-hold concept so that folks came into checks a lot smarter.  I'm not saying we shouldn't lyte--but the pendulum has gone to the far extreme now, and the best approach is likely somewhere in the middle.

    Heidi
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 9:53 AM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard

    But, what if it's our electrolyte usage that may be creating the problem here?  This kind of goes with your remark about humans screwing up everything.  Is it possible that electrolytes can be creating the problem?  And, if so, just what the heck do we do then?

    LikeI said, the very thought of such a thing may be so far out there that it's not worth contemplating.  But, I do wonder if the research vet, who said it shouldn't make a difference (electrolytes), really knows how much stuff we're giving to those 100 milers during the course of the race?  Can we be taking a completely healthy horse and creating a problem with the use of electrolytes?