<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:57 GMT 2003
  • - fvansev1
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard - Howard Bramhall

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Bob Morris
    Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 10:50 PM
    To: kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxx; Rides 2 Far
    Cc: nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: [RC] Wine Country/Gastroguard

    Has any one ever considered that ulcers are a way for natural selection of more fit animals. Those with ulcers are less likely to reproduce and less likely to live an extended
    life. This abbreviated, less reproductive life means a lower number of susceptible foals and a stronger genetic base.

    Then along comes the human desire that equates everything to a lower norm and screws up the entire system.

    Endurance must be drug free and unhealthy animals not allowed into competition.

    Bob

    Bob Morris
    Morris Endurance Enterprises
    Boise, ID

    Bob:

    I agree with your premise there, Bob, but I do have one question.  And, since it's coming from me, it might be way out there; over the edge and not very realistic.

    But, let's just say, that it might be the vast amounts of electrolytes that we pour down our endurance horses which are causing some of these ulcers.  I do wish Kathy had giving us the numbers of how many endurance horses participated in this recent test, cause 50% is a lot higher number than I was expecting to see.

    But, what if it's our electrolyte usage that may be creating the problem here?  This kind of goes with your remark about humans screwing up everything.  Is it possible that electrolytes can be creating the problem?  And, if so, just what the heck do we do then?

    Like I said, the very thought of such a thing may be so far out there that it's not worth contemplating.  But, I do wonder if the research vet, who said it shouldn't make a difference (electrolytes), really knows how much stuff we're giving to those 100 milers during the course of the race?  Can we be taking a completely healthy horse and creating a problem with the use of electrolytes?

    cya,

    Howard (this is one tough sport!)