<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Green Horses
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:26:21 GMT 2003
  • - dixie midnight
  • - Howard Bramhall

    RE: [RC] Green Horses - Mike Sofen

    I respectfully disagree, and vigorously.  It's one thing if I want to go jump off a cliff and kill myself, and quite another drag an entire community with me.  I've been at several rides where a seriously dangerous horse (just another term for "green", Howard) caused severe injuries to other horses and riders or to just their own rider.

    Howard, you can get your adrenaline rush in multiple ways using multiple activities and/or multiple chemical compounds.  Endurance has NOTHING to do with your green horse mania and everything to do with the creatures under our care and control.  A green can EASILY injure themselves, can EASILY injure other horses and riders.  You want a rush?  There's several people on this list that train RACEHORSES.  Get on one of them.

    The adrenaline I feel when I'm riding a green horse does not even remotely equate to the glow I feel when I successfully cross the finish line at the end of an endurance ride.  What I do love is the feel of green horse gaining wisdom and experience...as they begin to navigate the difficult aspects of the human/horse interface, overcoming complex environmental/visual obstacles, learning to be cool.

    To paint all of endurance with your color choice is rather myopic.

    Mike Sofen

     -----Original Message-----
    From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Howard Bramhall
    Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 10:28 AM
    To: dixie midnight; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Green Horses

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: dixie midnight
    Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 11:03 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    At the risk of getting really jumped upon, if a rider cannot control their horse at a start, cannot control the horse's speed at all gaits, has a spooker, or otherwise ill-behaved horse, then the horse AND rider are not well-trained, and are, by definition, green.

    Green horses need to understand what is expected of them.  They do not gain that knowledge by osmosis.  And there is no such thing as a "wound-up" breed of horses.

    These horses need time with their riders who need to KNOW how to bring the horse to the level of performance that is acceptable on the trail, around camp, at the start, around other horses and horse-rider teams.
    Karl:

    I can tell from those paragraphs right there, that you have never ridden in an endurance ride or even, and some would say especially, a Limited Distance Ride.  Cause if you had, then you wouldn't be saying what you're saying.  Why do I say that?

    Because, that's the damn beauty of the sport!  You don't get it because you haven't done it.  For some of us, this is what makes the whole thing so darn exciting, invigorating, and enjoyable, if not sometimes a little scary.  Anybody can play at our game.  Anybody, including you, Karl.  Anytime you want.  Just show up with your horse and get thru that pre ride vet check, and you're in.  We don't want no stinking rules, we don't want no levels of ability set on us or our horses, we just want the clipboard lady to say, "Giddy-up and GO!"

    If you want to be judged and graded on your riding ability enter Competitive trail or the Show Circuit, or, hey, stick with what you are doing already.  Even FEI endurance has levels of competition, that may be more your cup of tea.  But, endurance, American style, is based only on one thing.  Survival of the fittest (most fit to continue), nothing more, nothing less.  You take it one loop and one vet check at a time.  The process thins out the green riders and the green horses very well, one step at a time.  I have yet to see a rookie horse and rookie rider win, and continue to do so on a regular basis, a 50 mile or longer ride.  I have seen 25 milers do it, although it is rare, but not 50's.  The system seems to work quite well just the way it is.  And, if a rookie horse and rider win anything, it usually means they have prepared for the ride very well.

    I'm afraid you just don't get it, and you never will, till you try it.  Do it just once, and you might understand our game a little bit better.  If it wasn't so damn exciting, I wouldn't bother writing about it or going on like I do (on and on and on and on).  I love the thrill of endurance.  And, sometimes, just thinking about the experience, especially the start, with the green riders right next to the seasoned ones, gets me out of the bed each and every morning.

    If the idea of this bothers you so much, then don't attempt such a thing.  It might not be for you.  That's kind of the point; the sport is not for everyone, and it was never designed to be so.  It's for the brave of heart (and being a little bit crazy sure doesn't hurt none).  It's why I use the words "pure," and "free," when describing endurance.  Because it is; and it's one of the few things that has survived, into the third millennium, with such a description.  Join us, one time, before you criticize or try to offer changes to our game.

    cya,

    Howard (I just love the start of a big ole crowded endurance ride; what a rush!)