outings for long-two year old.

I would sure appreciate some opinions on how much trail work to do with a
filly that will be 3 in May. I am talking non-riding, either being ponied or
following loose.

Fawn is Arab/QH, 15.2 and solid.  She has very straight and correct legs.
Not having Bob's or Kat's wonderful hilly acres, I have made it a point to
take her on the trail 3-4 times a week since age 6 months.  That started at
20 minutes rambling, and now she has worked up to some occasional outings of
perhaps 2 hours, slow,  but some rides with a lot of climbs.

My point is to develop her strength and balance, without overdoing it and
damaging joints.  THAT is what I am trying to determine here!  Would
trotting hurt?  HOw much? On some of the rides she is loose, she goes
tearing off across hills, bucking and sliding to a stop-stuff that would
seem normal to a developing youngster in the wild.

I have a couple of great rides I would like to take her on, one 8 miles and
one 9.  They both cover rough terrain, and have some long climbs.  Is this
too much?

Her third year, I think we will do some of the sliding on and off stuff, up
to maybe `5 minutes riding on soft ground in a round pen, just practicing
light cues, nothing fast. I doubt we will do too much more than that her 4th
year.  I want to make sure her back is mature before we start riding her
much.

So...I still intent to take her out on the trail with groups, carrying a
light saddle and noisy stuff, teach her manners and horse camp.  It's just
determine what is a safe exercise (I hate to use the work conditioning)
program.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Karen