giving advice nicely

This is not exactly endurance related, but
everyone here seems to be really good at giving
advice.. so I thought it was worth a shot. There
are lots of younger kids at the barn I board at
that do things wrong, or don't know some things I
think are pretty important to know. I've tried
before to give advice to people, one example- a
family had 4 horses, and  all their halters fit
wrong.. they got mad at me for trying to help
them.. ergh. And they wonder why they loose their
halters all the time. I thought I was nice about
it too. I just told them I thought maybe if they
adjusted their halters some, they might stay on
the horses longer, and that I would show them
how. They thought I thought they were stupid or
something.. this has happened before.. what's a
good way to approach someone without sounding
like a "know-it-all" .. because I know no one
could ever know everything, but I seem to be the
only one there that reads books.. I learn lots
from this list too, and would like to help the
people out there, but dont want to seem rude..

the most recent thing is a girl who just bought a
HUGE blanket for her 14 hand arab mare.. but
somehow managed to get it on incredibly tight so
it wraps almost all the way under her stomach and
squeezes like a girth. I'm sure it's very
uncomfortable for the horse.. she's not the
nicest person though, but I feel bad for her
horse.. what would be a good way to "suggest"
something to her? or just to start out giving
someone advice?
thanks
kelly