Re: Can a horse with mild laminitis be competitive?

> As for Pistol, I'm curious about whether or not laminitis would affect
> his ability to perform

Hi Danielle,

IMO Pistol can completely heal and have no further problems with laminitis,
IF you identify the cause and remove it AND give the hoof a chance to heal.
While a 1-2 degree rotation may not be much, there IS damage and the strong,
tight laminar connection between the coffin bone and the wall isn't there.
To work him hard without removing the cause and allowing him time to heal,
IMO is putting him at risk of more severe rotation. Don't overlook the
warning signs that there is a problem. Find out what the cause is and take
steps to remove the cause, don't wait for 'the straw to break the camel's
back'.

> So I guess what my main question is, is that if I take time to condition
> him slowly and properly, and he has no re-occuring bouts of laminitis,
> do you think he'll be OK with completing some rides?

Yes I think he will, but I wouldn't ask much of him until he has a good
portion of healthy tight laminae growth. And nothing extreme until the whole
front wall has new healthy tight laminae.... in other words 'no rotation'.

Cheryl

"It is improbable, except largely through chance, to cure or prevent founder
without knowing how we violate the horse's natural state, and doing
something about it." Jaime Jackson