Re: Laminitis & Endurance

Hi,

   I too have a horse (Arab/Saddlebred mare) that came down with mild laminitis 2 months after I bought her last summer. She had no rotation but we treated it agressively just the same. I am bothered most that we can't pinpoint an obvious cause but we feel it is most likely a 'road founder' case - she had not been ridden in several years & I did not put shoes on her immediately & began riding her (almost all walking mind you) on hard packed dirt roads. We were in the midst of a rain spell (= muddy paddocks) so that softened her feet which contributed.

   We are now conditioning for a 25 miler in a month, she's been coming along great. I read a LOT when she had the inflamation & read that in many instances, with proper vet & farrier care, completely foundered horses have gone on to be extremely competitive, even in show jumping (talk about stress to the front feet!). That combined with both my vet & farrier saying that it is highly likely that she will be completely sound, has eased my mind substantially. But I am very cautious when I feel her hesitate or start stepping short & will put her on softer ground (even though she wears shoes) if I can. Hope this eases your mind a bit - you should have a blast on Pistol!

Bany in sunny so. Fla (Much better today, no need for blankies for my wimpy girls tonight!)