hackamores vs. sidepulls

Hello everybody,
 I need a little feedback on the differences with hackamores, mechanical and
    other wise and side pulls, and the severity of them. I want to use
something easy on my horse for a 50 comming up, he does good in a mechanical
hackamore. I was thinking of a padded Biothane side pull with bit attachments
just in case ( its our first race together ).
any thoughts ???
thanks guys,
Becky