It's a Drug.

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Kathy Meyers said:

> Now that he's been on it for over 6 months, what I'm seeing is a horse
> that's turned from a young cute baby, into what appears to be a potential
> 100 mile monster.  I'm shooting for the Swanton 75 this summer, but
> every time I take him out on the trail, he's so energetic I swear he needs
> that 100 to calm him down and teach him to really get to work.

> APF has the little weasel horse is atleast thinking he's an eagle... don't
> tell him he's still just a little weasel.

I must confess that I find the combination of these statements to be a little
scary.  If the assortment of assertions made by Micael Van Noy about APF are
true, and the "one rat study" reported by Kathy Meyers have anything to do with
having given APF to her horse, then there should be little doubt in anybody's
mind that APF is a drug; and if the Kathy's final statement is accurate, not
only does the drug have a physiological effect, but it appears it may also have
a psychological effect (i.e. it is "mood altering").

Don't be fooled into thinking that just because it has an herbal origin, that
it cannot be a drug.  Synthesizing drugs from non-herbal sources is a VERY
twentieth century phenomenon.  Until that time, virtually all drugs were of
herbal origin.  To list just a few: Heroine is a Chinese herbal extract;
cocaine is a South American herbal extract; digitalis is an herbal extract from
foxglove; aspirin is an herbal extract from willow bark; caffeine is an herbal
extract from the coffee bean (that's where the "caf" in caffeine comes from).

I would be very careful before I decided to undertake a medications policy of
systematically drugging an otherwise healthy horse.  Back in the 16th to 19th
centuries people "dosed" themselves with laudanum (an extract of the opium
poppy) for the very same reasons.  It was a Chinese herbal extract that made
them feel good.  Today people dose themselves with cocaine for similar reasons,
it is a nice "pick me up."  Medically/physiologically speaking, there is no
difference.  The difference is merely social/cultural.

If Michael Van Noy's assertions about the metabolic effects of APF on horses is
true (and if they aren't they why use it at all), then the stuff has a
pharmacological effect and it is a drug (and like many drugs, it may have some
great benefits in maintaining the health of a horse).

But if _I_ thought that the drug was having the effect of making my horse think
that it is something that it is not (e.g. of making it think it can fly like an
eagle when in reality it is as earthbound as a weasel), well...I knew a couple
of people who were on LSD who thought they could fly too, and found out the
hard way that they cannot ("knew" being the operative word here).

Even so, while Micheal Van Noy also said:

> Again, I have been using these herbs in horses since 1994 and began
> marketing this formulation in 2000, after careful study and a history of
> field use in my practice and the practice of other veterinarians.  Every
> batch of APF is tested at a FEI level lab to guarantee that it complies
> fully with all regulations and it is allowed by the medications rules of
> AHSA.

Just because current drug tests do not test for metabolites of the chemical
compounds contained the herbs that have the above stated pharmacological
effects, there should be little doubt in anybody's mind (no matter how strict
of a definition used for the term "drug"), that using APF on an endurance horse
would be in violation of the AERC's rule 13 (despite the assertion that current
drug tests would not pick it up, and therefore it is unlikely that anybody
using it is likely to get caught).  The fact that it is allowed by the
medications rules of the AHSA is of no consequence when determining if it is
allowed by AERC rules.  The AHSA has gone to the trouble of making a list of
forbidden medications...and, apparently, this medication is not on it.  That
doesn't mean that it isn't a medication; there are lots of medications that are
not on the AHSA's list.

At the same time Kathy Meyers also said:

> *If* I had tying up problems, this is definitely (sic) one of the first things
> I'd try.  I'd imagine you need to first have a good solid feeding schedule
> with a good quality vitamin / mineral supplement (mine are on Dynamite)
> and then definitely (sic) APF to help with problems such as tying-up and to
> put that little extra edge on your endurance horse.

If _I_ had tying up problems with one of my horses, this might also be my drug
of choice for treating the pathological condition; but I wouldn't fool myself
into thinking that I am doing anything other than drugging my horse.  If it
doesn't have a pharmacological effect (treating the pathological medical
condition of azotoria) then why would I be using it?

Make no mistake, if you are using this stuff on your horse and it is having any
metabolic benefit, then you are treating your horse with a drug.  "I didn't
know it was a drug, because I don't understand the pharmacology" is not a
"defense" for drugging your horse; nor, I might add is, "It comes from a plant
so it isn't a drug."

I make no comment as to whether this is a good or bad thing to be doing to/for
your horse.

I merely wish to point out that it is a drug. And if I were going to use it on
my horse, I would want to be sure that I had a good reason for giving my horse
drugs.  In fact, I would do as Michael Van Noy suggests and consult my
veterinarian.  Oh, yeah, and I wouldn't give it to my endurance horse, because
it's against the rules.  (I also make no comment as to whether or not I think this
is a good rule.)

kat
Orange County, Calif.