Umbilical Hernia in a foal

Hi everyone:  I need some information about foals with umbilical hernias.  I
have an 8 month old colt with a "small" hernia.  The repair procedure
described to me will be either a clamp or surgery.
 What I'm interested in is imagining if this horse will have limited use as
an endurance prospect because of his condition.  I have also read that this
condition can be hereditary, which is important to know for breeding
reasons.
   What is OCD in a foal?  I found it mentioned in a ridecamp archive.
Thanks for your information and direction.
 Sherman, FL