Re: equine vet care books

>What veterinary type books do people have that they find really useful?

I've got two general reference books:

_The Illustrated Veterinary Ecyclopedia for Horsemen_, published
 by Equine Research, Inc.

_Veterinary Notes for Horse Owners_, by Captain M. Horace Hayes,
 17th edition published by Simon & Schuster.

Between the two of them, I find the _Veterinary Notes_ by far the
more useful book--it just seems to know better what it is I need
to know whenever I need to look something up.  Perhaps it is
because it has been in use for so long (the original was published
over 100 years ago and continues to be updated).  I was surprised
to see Josh Pons refer to it frequently in his _Country Life
Diary_.

Both books have the problem of all general reference works:
they tell you about a *lot* of different things; but they tell
you only a little bit about any *one* thing.  Once
you know what your horse has, you want to know more and more
and more about that one thing, far more than these books will tell.
When that happens to me, I have to ask my vet for recommendations
for veterinary text books on more specific equine physiological
systems, or recent journal articles.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA